Our people are SPTC’s greatest asset. That’s why we go above and beyond to ensure the safety and security of our captains, crew and the islanders with whom we work.
SPTC employee safety policies include:
- Self-inflated work vests for all deck crew
- First Aid and CPR training | Captains
- Alcohol and drug collector training | Captains
- Pre-employment and random drug testing | All crew members
- “Adrift at Sea” life saving events participation
- Drill conductor training | Captains
- Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points (HACCP) training | Staff
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) training | Captains
We proudly operate under the rules and regulations outlined by the South Pacific Tuna Treaty as negotiated in 1987 with our founder, the late Mr. David G. Burney, and the U.S. Department of State.
Learn more about our commitment to a sustainable fishery here.